How to Write a Synthesis Essay: Universal Tips for Each Type of Such Essay
“Students, your task is to write synthesis essays!” It may be a difficult assignment if you don’t know what they are. But as soon as you know what this assignment is about, you will understand what exactly they want from you. However, it is worth recognizing that understanding the task does not always help with its completion.
Therefore, we have prepared a guide for you to help you write your essay with high quality. Of course, if you want this task to be completed even faster, you can place an individual order with an experienced writer. However, let’s first try to figure it out on our own.
What’s a Synthesis Essay?
This essay is often referred to as a written discussion of a specific idea or relevant topic. It always involves gathering information from multiple sources and then synthesizing it to substantiate an issue. Its purpose is to research a particular topic and find connections that form a strong opinion. They are usually divided into the following categories:
- Argument synthesis logically organizes the most relevant information to support the point of view of your work. It is a complex essay that the student needs to cope with.
- The review is also written for the synthesis of arguments. In other words, it is a discussion of pre-written content on a particular topic and a critical analysis of the sources covered. You need more deep research for such unstated statements to ensure that the issue has been adequately addressed. This type is usually given to medical students or future lawyers.
- Explanatory synthesis helps the audience understand a theme by classifying facts and presenting them to deepen their understanding. It does not advocate a particular opinion, and if there is an argument in it, it is weak.
Before you start writing an essay, make sure what type you are going to work on. A correctly understood task is already 50% of success.
How to Write Synthesis Essay by Following Easy Steps
It isn’t easy to sit down and write an essay in one hour. Usually, you need to allocate at least one day for this work. However, no one is forcing you to write non-stop. Our brains need rest, so divide your work into manageable steps if you have enough time to write.
Prepare for Writing
Your topic should be broad enough to include several related resources. If you are free to choose a topic, some previous analysis may help you decide what to write about. You will usually need to select three sources for your synthesis essays.
After you do your external research and read the resources, you will have to give your opinion on your topic. So, try to cover the subject and express your opinion on this matter. Depending on the type, your thesis might be the opening line itself or the last sentence of the Introduction.
Browse your resources again and select critical quotes, ideas, and facts that support your paper.
Outline the Structure and Key Elements
Write an exciting introduction that will interest the reader. You need to identify the issue you will discuss and formulate a thesis to do this. This paragraph should not be too long ― 5-6 sentences will be enough.
The body should consist of three main paragraphs. The first should be a sentence that provides a basis for supporting your thesis. Next, express your interpretation and opinion about the thematic proposal. Finally, be sure to give examples from sources to help your statement.
There is no need to provide new evidence in the conclusion. Instead, state the further importance of your topic based on what you have already written. Take this part seriously because it completes the impression of your work.
Use a more creative structure to present your synthesis essays. For example, a comparison and contrast framework compares the similarities and differences between two items or sources to show both aspects. So, it requires careful reading of the source material to find nuances and significant similarities and differences. Such articles may present their arguments from one source to another or because of similarities or differences.
Writing and Proofreading
Be prepared to deviate from your plan if you discover new ideas and information in the literature that can support your thesis. It can turn out that you won’t have time to write more than one draft, so keep up the pace and do the best you can. Use transitions between paragraphs. They make your paper logical. And they are also a great way to show where your sources support each other. Reread your essay several times and check it for consistency, smooth transitions, and errors.
How to Write a Good Synthesis Essay with Helpful Tips
There are never too many tips for writing a successful essay. Therefore, we have prepared five more that will help you during writing:
- Set a goal to shape how you want to argue and form your essay’s thesis.
- Choose sources, read them, and make notes.
- Make an organizational plan.
- Use more than one source for each point. Several sources will make your position stronger. Also, evaluate which source has the best logic or reliability.
- Try to make some rhetorical choices that can also improve your argument. Or you may employ a persuasive style throughout your paper.
Of course, synthesis essays have their own specifics. And if you are not used to writing this type of work, the best solution would be to turn to professionals. It will save you time and nerves, and as a result, you will receive a high-quality essay, taking into account all the requirements.